Thursday, September 1, 2011

This Is Only The Beginning

Hello everyone and welcome to the brand new blog for the Museum of Natural History! My name is Veronica and I'll be your guide as we journey into the depths of the museum. I am a Junior at the University of Iowa majoring in Anthropology and Museum Studies. I will be conducting an Undercover Museum project that will bring us into the sections of the museum that are normally hidden from visitors. I hope to show you how anyone, at any age, can enjoy their time in the museum and discover new ways to get involved. I have always had a profound admiration of museums and enjoyed the many depths and corners hidden within its walls. The Museum of Natural History at the University of Iowa is majestic beginning at its entrance. The Greco-Roman architecture of the university's pentacrest is dramatic and commanding and the museum is absolutely a beauty. Once inside, Iowa history overtakes your senses. Journey through Iowa Hall and you'll be taken back in time to see what our landscape previously looked like and those who previously lived here. As you continue through the museum, you'll take in more and more animal and human history. There's always something new that will catch your eye.

So, what should you expect to see over the next few months? We will be exploring events provided for children and adults and how they come together from planning to conducting them. I'll bring you information about the collections yet to be presented in the museum's main halls. We'll even see a first hand account of a child's first visit to the museum. If you have anything you've always wanted to know, please add a comment below and let me know. I can't wait to bring you along on this journey! Whether you've never visited the museum or been there several times, I hope to peak your interest to return again and again with a new vision.

Please take a minute and explore the Museum's website, especially the history of it's beginnings at: History
Me with my friend, Rusty the Sloth, at the Museum of Natural History

No comments:

Post a Comment